Monday, May 26, 2008

So How's That Working For You?

I am grateful for Memorial Day. Grateful that our country is willing to set aside a time to remember the men and women who have died for the pursuit of freedom. I am thankful for all those men and women. I also think about from this day forward and wonder if there is another way. Do people have to continue to die on the battle field. I ask my self today how is the whole war thing working?
I read an interesting quote this morning. Don't know who to credit it to, but here it is. "When the power of love is greater than the love of power, the world will be at peace." On this Memorial Day I remember the one man who truly came in the name of love. He offered and continues to offer a better way. His Kingdom is not one that leads with the kind of power we seem to gravitate towards.
In our Christian Country, (whatever that means) we lead with power and might. We even go off to war with God on our side using him as a pawn to validate or justify our pursuit of power and world dominance. Of course this is not original with us, it has been going on for centuries. We need to be honest, we are not pursuing peace as much as we are pursuing power. There is a big difference. That kind of power will never produce peace. It produces death. So we will continue to have Memorial Days.
So today I give thanks and remember the men and women who have served and died. I also remember the one who died so that this life could be different. He has been called "The Prince of Peace." That has a nice ring to it. I believe we have been pursuing a little peace.
"So how is this whole war thing working for you?"

Peace,

3 comments:

meaderman said...

It would seem that Jimi Hendrix gets credit for the quote. "When the power of love is greater than the love of power, the world will be at peace."
Thanks Jimi!

Andi Hawkins said...

Interesting. Sometimes my own internal battle could be summed up in the same way. Maybe if we all win there, world peace would naturally follow.

Now I am swaying in my chair with my cell phone glowing in my raised hand...

Good post you John Lennon you.

Jamie Mullins said...

I could not agree more! If peace were truly what we were after, there would be NO need for Memorial Day. But thank God for those willing to put their lives in harms way to protect mine and the lives of my kids! You are an amazing writer...really enjoying reading this blog!