Saturday, May 24, 2008

American Idol This Sunday

I am teaching/preaching this weekend. Whatever you prefer to call it. I prefer teaching. It always creates some interesting dynamics for me. I really enjoy it and want people to be blessed by sitting and listening to me. I realize a big part of myself is weaved into the lesson, but I don't want it to be about me. I think teaching matters and should be a part of what we do when we get together. But I also believe we put way too much emphasis on it.
I believe in our American/Western culture we worship Pastors. I believe God calls this idolatry. He is pretty clear he is not a real big fan of this. We simply take him off the alter and put a man up there. Certainly not a new phenomenon, but still wrong. 
I hope this weekend people will see Jesus and not too much of me. Let's save American Idol for Wednesday or whatever night it comes on. Oh wait, now we are back at idolatry. Darn maybe it's not just Pastors. 

Peace, 

2 comments:

Joe Stobaugh said...

Amen and amen! I think idolatry remains the most frequent sin of humanity, especially in the west!
Thanks for posting your blog: good stuff!!

Andi Hawkins said...

Well, that saves me the trouble of repeatedly texting in votes for you when you are done.