Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Forward Motion

I would suggest that much of life is simply forward motion. Taking risks, growing as a person, experiencing life, pursuing dreams, all of these require forward motion. We have to take steps toward those dreams and desires or they stay an arms length away. Today I am taking a step and creating forward motion. I have talked about blogging for a long time and simply would not take the simple steps to make that happen. Two months ago Natalie (my beautiful wife) informed me in the middle of the night, like 3:30 am that I should be blogging. It was rather random for her to be talking to me in the middle of the night and for her to say out of the blue "you really need to start blogging".  So today it begins. 
Sir Isaac Newton developed his three laws of motion. Now I am not really smart enough to fully understand these, but I do find them interesting. The first one states (1) an object in motion stays in motion until acted upon by an outside force. I don't really think Sir Isaac was talking about a spiritual truth here but I see one. I believe God created me for forward motion. So I wonder what is it about life that locks me up? What keeps me paralyzed and stops me from pursuing my dreams and walking fully in what God has called and created me to be? For me it is fear. I know fear is not from the Lord. So maybe Sir Issac was on to something here. I am striving to allow, as C.S. Lewis would say "the Christ in Me" to create forward motion.
Starting this blog is just on of many baby steps. I so enjoy this journey!

Peace, 

5 comments:

Andi Hawkins said...

Beautiful. Todd, you have interesting thoughts and you are a great writer. I look forward to following your journey and gaining insight for my own. I just don't think I could put into words the impact you and Natalie have made on my life. Be blessed with this new forward step -- May you travel far!

BTW-- what an apropos topic for an inaugural post. I believe mine was about Charlie pooping all over the ottoman... very poetic.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

You have no idea how much I look forward to reading your thoughts! Your thoughts invoke new thoughts for me... I hope you don't mind me sharing...

One of the forces that affects motion is friction. Static friction is the type of friction that causes a stationary object to resist motion. Kinetic friction is the friction that a moving object experiences.

Both types "resist" movement, but the good news is that static friction for a given surface is always higher than kinetic friction. This means that getting something to move takes more energy than sustaining its movement.

I think fear is the same way. The fear that needs to be overcome to set something in motion is always greater than the fear that resists us once we are moving.

So, you're through the hardest part with blogging, which is getting started. I have been waiting for months for your blog debut! yipeeeeeeee

M. Hurt said...

Bryan will be very happy to hear that you have a blog, so now we can keep up with you and Natalie! Hurrah!

Beka Bullard said...

What an exciting day! I found out you have a blog. I love your honesty because it continues to challenge me. I think and pray for you and Natalie daily. We miss you guys terribly and thank God for your presence in our lives. You have forever left your mark on our lives. Thanks for visiting us to celebrate Gracie's arrival and sorry I was so out of it! Let's get together once school gets out.
Rebekah