Monday, June 9, 2008

Mowing, Jack Johnson and God

I was edging the yard Saturday and Mason was mowing. I was reminded that life is always better together. I enjoy working in the lawn for the first few months of the summer. By August I am tired of it, although it already feels like August. To edge, weed eat and mow takes me several hours. But with Mason mowing and me edging and weed eating we were only in the yard about an hour. Perfect!
This mowing experience with my son reminded me of Jack Johnson and God. I will explain. Jack has a great song called, Better Together and God created you and I to do life in community, together with others. I really believe God created us with the understanding that life really is better when lived out together, in relationships.
Can you remember a time when you were living your life in isolation out of community with people? I believe our world is full of lonely people. There are all kinds of goofy reasons and lies we believe that lead us to a place of loneliness, isolation and out of relationship with others and God. But we were not created to do life alone. 
So if you need a little community come on over. You can pick. The mower or the edger. We can mow, get my yard looking good, go inside get a cold drink, listen to Jack and enjoy life. Because it really is better together.

Peace,

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I still think of that CD player in the coffee room on the square when I hear Jack Johnson. Definitely one of my most treasured memories of true community.

Andi Hawkins said...

What a beautiful picture. I feel the solidarity of relationship when I sit on the sidewalk with Natalie, watching my boys play, and talking about life. It is so much sweeter when enjoyed with good friends.

Unknown said...

Good Post, Andrea gave me your blog, glad I found it.
I'll be back.