Friday, June 20, 2008

"Amazing Grace" I Want Some Of That!

Guilt is a fascinating reality in my life. Guilt happens for me when I "should of on myself." Just for the record, you shouldn't "should of on yourself." Wait, I think I just did. See, this guilt thing gets real screwy.
This morning  Mason, Doug and I were going through our workout out front. My neighbor comes out to leave for work and says, "you guys are making me feel guilty", and ready, here it comes. She said "I should be working out." She dropped the dreaded, "should of" on herself. It reminded me that feeling guilty is my choice. Guilt is climbing in a bath full of condemnation and choosing to sit in it for a while. God's word says, "there is no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus."
Michael broke both his wrist in a basketball game Saturday night. We were playing in a tournament and I was coaching. The game had gotten out of hand. We were up by 60 and several guys had been trying to get a dunk. I was a little uncomfortable with that wanting the guys to finish the game and move on to the next one with no injuries. Michael had already gotten a sweet dunk, his first in a game and wanted one more. He went up to dunk with two hands and swung to much, his hands came off the rim and he feel head first, broke his fall with his hands and broke both wrists. I have chosen to feel guilty about that all week. Feeling like I could have prevented it from happening.
Guilt is like a stinky shirt we choose to put on and wear. I am weary of wearing a stinky shirt all week. My neighbors words reminded me this morning that it was my choice. I had chosen to "should of on myself."  I put it on and I can take it off.
I am reminded today that God's grace is sufficient. You and I were not created to walk through this life being burdened by guilt. I just wish it weren't so hard to extend that grace to myself.

Peace, 
 

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Thanks Todd, I needed to hear that.

Andimac said...

Well said brother. Tell Michael to heal quick what a bummer.

Anonymous said...

too bad about the wrists - i hope that they heal quickly.

how are you liking the post-american world? my husband has been wanting to read it for awhile. he reads zakaria's newsweek writings.

Gena said...

First of all, Todd, I am blown away that you're talking about working out with Mason. Isn't he still like four or 5? ;) I can't believe I havn't been reading your blog. You have such insightful things to say. I just read your last entry about Fathers. It's funny, because my husband just spoke to our church yesterday about forgiveness and his own Father who abandoned him. You all remind me of each other sometimes. I hope you and Natalie are doing well. I will have to add you as a link so I remember to check here more often!