Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Fathers Day and Rain

I am still processing fathers day! That particular day has always been a struggle for me. Growing up it always served as a reminder that I had no father to say, "Happy Fathers Day Dad, I Love You!" to which I'm sure he would have replied "I Love You too, son." Not having a dad presented several challenges for me.
First by not having a dad I would create in my mind what my dad would have been like. I'm sure that the father son relationship I had created in my mind was not very close to reality. The dad I created was perfect, he was a dream dad, literally and figuratively. What I have learned after being a father for 17+ years and working with teens and adults for 20+ years and is there are not any perfect dads out there.
The other challenge is that I believe dads are suppose to affirm and bless their children. I have always wanted that father blessing. I believe this father blessing, is very different and unique than any other blessing we get in this life time. With out it most of us walk through life with some type of limp. For some the limp is very noticeable and some of us hide it pretty well. But if you look close you will see it manifest itself somewhere.
Mine is now much like a bum knee that aches a little when it rains or when it is cold and damp. Just a reminder of a more serious wound that has healed.  Scar tissue that reminds me of a deeper pain I use to feel. 
Fathers day is like a cold rain. There is a little ache in the heart but not to bad.

2 comments:

Andi Hawkins said...

Scars are an outward symbol of inner strength, the crown of someone who fought and won. What a different story your children will have because of your perseverance through healing and trust during cold rain.

Beka Bullard said...

You need to write a book.