Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Hot, Cold and Adam

Natalie was sharing with me last night about a science training she had attended. They had discussed a lesson for students helping them understand that there is really no such thing as cold only the absence of heat. I guess the reality is cold does not exist only the absence of heat. The same idea would relate to darkness. No such thing as darkness only the absence of light. Light exist darkness does not.
These scientific realities make sense to me at some level, but when I walked out of my house at 5:15 this morning, my reality was it was very cold and dark. But maybe our reality is not always true. What about life and death?
We understand that when a heartbeat stops and there is no breath a person is dead. I have sat with families in a hospital and watched a monitor flat line and the nurse check the vitals and say he has passed. I have buried people who are dead, just a corpse in a casket lowered into the ground. 
But Jesus said he defeated death, it was no more. It is like hot and cold. No cold only the absence of hot and in Christ there is only life no death. It simply does not exist. But like my experience this morning with the cold and darkness, death does seem to exist.
Saturday morning 12 friends huddled in a circle on the Katy trail. Some were new friends some old. We thanked God for the life of Adam Langford. Each of us holding on to different memories. We gathered to complete a run for Adam. He wanted to run 30 miles on his 30th birthday. He could not do that so we did it for him. 
The absence of heat made the wind sting as it hit our skin. The absence of Adam made the tears sting in our eyes. Adam running 30 miles on his 30th birthday would have been a much better story and one he would of told to the delight of many. The reason for running and the absence of Adam reminds us of death. Death feels cold, but again I am told cold does not exists.
My reality that Saturday morning as friends hugged, cried, prayed, talked and ran was life. What I experienced that morning was life, in some ways life at it's best. Adam was with us but certainly in a different way and not the way each of us wanted.
Maybe death does not exist and maybe cold does not exist, but I wish Adam being gone did not feel so cold.

Peace, todd

3 comments:

Tammy Kling said...

CS Lewis wrote that "Grief is a never ending valley and sometimes it feels as if the valley is a circular trench." At a funeral once I heart the pastor say that "sometimes, there can be no answers." It was the death of a young girl. I always remembered that, and it certainly holds true for our lives. Living content without answers is the best thing we could do for then we have faith. One thing I know for sure - there is plenty of darkness. It is very cold, and very real. The enemy makes sure there is always a steady supply. My goal this year is to stay unplugged from it.

Andi Hawkins said...

Beautiful. Painfully so, but beautiful.

My eyes are stinging too.

Tiarra - Little Faces Photography said...

Just amazing. I wish I could say more, but there simply aren't words.